View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2019, 5:05 pm   #22
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Re: Getting rid of damp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
Here we are again with a slightly strange question 1970 In these somewhat overheated times, can't you just put it in direct, or perhaps indirect, sunlight? Maybe after the bleach treatment? Drying it out too quickly would certainly be a mistake! We can see that with people who overdo the sunbathing!

Dave W
Hi, yes it is slightly strange but I didn't want to do any further damage to the cabinet, and I have no where to put it, as I live in a flat, so haven't any space to put it in the sun, as the only south facing window has the sofa underneath. I would've put a dehumidifier in the cabinet but wasn't sure.

I also like to make sure first as I don't want to ruin anything and google isn't always the best place to look.

Quote:
is that condensation forming on the TV's metalwork ? Extra ventilation would help.
I would recommend removal of any mouldy items from a bedroom. Perhaps into a well ventilated loft, or even better - out to a garden shed or garage until the mould problem is solved. "Marigolds" would be advisable for the bleach swabbing methods already advised. Preferably outside, or in a well ventilated garage or shed.
If the item is manky beyond redemption, due to someone else's neglect, then dump it.
I don't have either of those 3 things to store it in either, which is a pain. I can ask a family member if I can put it in their shed for the time being.

There doesn't seem to be any condensation on the metal work, that I've seen anyway.

It was damp when I got it, because I opened it up the day I brought it home, and there was the damp and mould already there, so I think it may have been stored in a shed or something else poorly insulated.

Quote:
a cabinet with a tv inside generating warmth the outside of the cabinet is the coldest surface which is where the moisture if any should appear
I don't think the tv has been on for some time and so it was allowed to get damp. The veneer on the outside right above it is fine, so I think it's from the inside.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it