View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2010, 9:13 am   #12
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Goon tapes question for Ted Kendall

Noise reduction has little to do with dynamic range, save that compressing a hissy tape will make it hissier. And as someone once said, once you've made the hamburger you can't get the cow back.

The point of the Goon Show issues, particularly those in the Compendium, was to preserve these shows in the best possible quality, and that involves retaining the intended dynamics of the recordings, which were subject to fairly strict guidelines at the time. Obvious fader errors are ironed out, and, should the average level drop in a scene, there is a little manual gain riding just to bring it back on the cam, so to speak, but nothing else. Sometimes, as I have said, I must accept a compressed dub as a source because it is the best in other respects, but TS didn't bend them double the way modern AM transmission in particular does.

In any case, and this has been mooted many times, not least by Glenn Gould, perhaps the consumer should have access to a compressor so he can screw it up...I mean "optimise the dynamics" for himself. With computer technology, this is now economic. Whether it's sensible is another matter, but then, you bought the bridge - blow it up if you wish.