View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2010, 11:35 pm   #10
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Goon tapes question for Ted Kendall

44.1 is good enough for most purposes - extra bit depth is, to my mind, more useful - and my Prism is to all intents and purposes completely transparent at any sensible sample rate. The archive community is gravitating towards 24/96, which at least gives plenty of room for error. 192 is, as yet, for the spec-chasers, in my view - it's unlikely to do any harm if correctly engineered, but is wasteful of disc space. Cedar can clean up a signal at any sample rate, anyway, and should a particular process require a wider bandwidth, such as ultra-accurate digital filtering, then upsampling will meet the case.

The retrospective clocking of an analogue tape recording with the bias signal is one of those ideas, like synchronising multiple copies of a disc, which is at first sight so elegant that it must work. In practice, I doubt whether it can deliver useful results outside the laboratory, much as we might wish it to. There are other ways of straightening wow out, but they are as yet very processor-intensive and hands-on. One day, maybe...