View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2018, 12:01 pm   #5
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default Re: KB 381 5 valve AC/DC superhet

Hi Rich
That is an good suggestion but I dont think it is for that, I have read more of the service manual now, (23 pages) and that paxolin former type device is not mentioned.
I have taken a look in the other KB 381 radio I have and the paxolin former is not there.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 IMG_2490 s.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	157353
But, there is a stiff tinned copper wire in a brown sticky sleeve connected to L1 terminal D, it bends round towards the tuning capacitor body and is fitted in a small clamp, the other end of the wire is not terminated, just floating.
In addition the wire from L2 terminal B which goes to the centre section of the 3 gang tuning cap, is excessively longer and loops through the sticky wire from L1 D.
I am not sure what the purpose is for, any ideas are welcome.

It helps when you read the instructions, at the end of the service manual on page 23 is another circuit diagram and it shows the different way the dial lamps are wired to avoid excessive over voltage on them when the heaters are warming up causing premature bulb failure.
Click image for larger version

Name:	new circuit.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	157352
There are also quite a lot of amendments and corrections to the original KB service manual in another KB corrections document.

Mike