View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2019, 12:38 pm   #27
MichaelWay
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Re: [Restoration AND Light Modification] Murphy 146

1. Murphy Nut/Clive, I can tell by your name alone that you will be very helpful. Yes I noticed the room issue, the capacitors seem to have bent the backboard out of its flush intended design. Is there a particular specification of wire you would recommend? If possible I would strive to preserve the original colour variations.

2. Trevor, I will wait to measure resistance etc till I pick up an AvoMeter as Dave recommends below. I will take my time rewiring, and try and do one wire at a time so that the connections are correct. Thanks for the grommet suggestion. I will try contacting my local amateur radio clubs and see if anyone has an isolation transformer they no longer want/need. I will also check the forums. *googles earth leakage trip*

3. Dave, yeah I will try and post less often once I have a game-plan sorted, then hopefully will only update sparsely as I progress through the restoration. Some of the advice is complex, but ultimately I feel like I am learning. As you say, the conflicting advice on the need for a Isolation Transformer is a bit confusing. I will try an acquire an AVO Model 7. Do I remove the components to measure their voltages etc? Or do I measure them in circuit? Thanks for keeping my straight on the GRAM inputs. Need to stop thinking of the final product and focus on the task at hand.

4. Trevor, thanks for the hint re:CPC. Screw terminals are similar to the screw systems inside plugs, correct?

5. Herald/Chris, I love all of your concern for my safety. I will get an insulating mat, and what about rubber gloves?

6. Station/Graham, thanks for the clarification on set screws.

7. Herald/Chris, definitely unsuitable!

8. Dave, I will read up on that section of the notes. Thank you for your emphasis, as I said, the concern for my safety on this forum is very reassuring. You all know what you're talking about, and ultimately you are putting my safety first. Great practice.

9. Nanozeugma, yes I am certain that my set is a A146C, but thank you for your advice. There is just one small stain on the speaker cloth, do you think it would be safe to hand wash? Yes the string is definitely snapped, I am not looking forward to replacing it. Replacing the wires has just become my top priority, is there any specific wiring you recommend? I may yet replace the mains cable as it is VERY short, it doesn't even reach the ground if I feed it out of the circular hole (not the GRAM one) on the back of the cover.

10. Trevor, thank you for simplifying the equation for this novice. I may just screw open the plug housing and count the wires to be extra sure.