Old 12th Feb 2019, 10:39 am   #11
Pmark34
Triode

Default Re: Lancashire Dynamo, Crypto- Rotary Transformer Converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien Nunes View Post
Quote:
the wires from F and L to the coils have come off
Are the two coils still connected together or is the lead linking the two also detached? If so, see if you can identify it, otherwise you will have to test the relative polarity of the two coils with a compass (so that their magnetic fields add, rather than cancel).

If the two coils are still linked and only the leads to the terminal box are detached, then the effect of reversing them will be to reverse the rotation and possibly slightly alter / degrade the performance of the machine. Do you know which direction it had previously been running? If so, then all you need to do is reconnect the field leads so that it runs the same way. If not, we can can probably still tell from various clues (comm appearance, brush wear pattern, dirt patterns etc.) unless you've already erased them.
The two coils were still linked, I have taken them out now but know exactly how they came out, Don't know direction of rotation at the moment but if I look at the brushes more closely maybe I can work it out, so It might just a case of trying it and seeing what happens & then reversing the two wires from F & L if needed. The wires off the two coils at the top are very very short so are going to be fun to replace.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F Coils.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	178250   Click image for larger version

Name:	Field coil right 1.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	178251   Click image for larger version

Name:	Field coil left 1.jpg
Views:	81