Old 24th Apr 2021, 10:39 pm   #28
Maarten
Dekatron

Default Re: Akai VHS VCRs - want to hear your opinions on them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellectronics View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_fivos_sak View Post
I have an old top loader VS-5. It has an odd fault where the capstan won't lock into the right speed with a ton of wow & flutter, and another fault where there's no picture in record. The RIFA capacitor in the mains supply recently gave me trouble. It went bang with lots of white smoke. That's common with these capacitors however. A unique "feature" with this model is that it displays "BREAKDOWN" on the VFD along with several beeps coming from a buzzer whenever there's a tape loading fault.
Great to hear your positives and negative‘s thank you. Really starting to sound like they had a succession of issues with power supplies.. I suppose this wasn’t a part of the machine that was made by Akai.. especially UK models which relied on UK friendly power supplies?
The power supplies were definitely designed by Akai themselves. Bought in types would have been standard circuits, but they used creative and cutting edge designs, sometimes unlike any other brand, sometimes more on the conventional side but still slightly different.
Maarten is offline   Reply With Quote