View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2016, 1:33 pm   #125
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Default Re: Old torches - anyone here collect them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstar View Post
New kid on the block, from Stoneleigh car boot yesterday, £1.50. I am not sure of the make - there is only 'British Made' on the base. it looks like an outer covering has come off, and am tempted to add a nice leather coat. Need also to obtain a U10 battery, so have ordered a 1289 as here:
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=78716
Tony
I love these little No.8 lights! I have three of them, one was so broken anyone else would have binned it, but with care I got them alight again.

Now, what I did find was that as 'stock' these little lights are not really very bright - and I mean that in the kindest way! In pitch black they are just about OK, but using them to light your way will not work. But they love to be 'hotrodded' - and bought up to date. From 0.75 Watts to well over 2. Here's what you need to do if you feel tempted.

Two Efest 18350 lithium protected batteries (the black ones), some 1.5mm foam, electrical tape and a 6.5V 0.3A bulb from Maplin (no other bulb of the same rating will be as good). Simply wrap the batteries in foam and then wrap over the foam with electrical tape - this prevents rattling and gives a perfect fit. Fit the Maplin bulb - these are amazingly gas filled (usually they are vacuum) and give a crisp white light without darkening - plus have a low placed filament for a good beam. Give the reflector a clean while you are in there with some wadding. Charge up the batteries and pop them in - and you get over two hours of steady white light per charge!