View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2012, 8:44 pm   #8
turretslug
Dekatron

Default Re: R1556A High imp. phones

Mans, that is a nice front panel.

No holes for the additional phones socket or mains switch on mine, though the octal power option socket on the rear panel had been replaced (proficiently) by a 5-pin type I recognised as being used by the UK military. Perhaps individual branches of UK services added particular mods to suit their own purposes. I replaced this with a blanking plate punched to suit a press-in type IEC filter. (I have a lot of sympathy with keeping things original but I used to do quite a bit of safety testing/appraisal so I'm a bit chairy about primary-side stuff. One hard-and-fast rule I have is no cutting/drilling of original metalwork, it doesn't take much to cut/fold adapter metalwork and use existing fastener points)). I'd heard that the original mode switch mounted mains switch was electrically fragile but hopefully my fitting of a 220ohm NTC inrush limiter gives it an easier life.

I have to confess I didn't go as far as opening up and restuffing the bathtubs, I simply fitted new caps on a point-to-point basis- luckily the IO valveholders and plentiful chassis tabs make this straightforward. Your bathtub shot certainly shows up the difference in volume between old and new types! I like the feedthrough idea.
I regard the white tubular Aerovox capacitor in two of your pictures as something of a liability- unusually for a tone-correction capacitor, it's connected between O/P valve anode and chassis, making it a potential O/P transformer killer in the event of short-circuit. It might have been a quality component in its day but O/P transformers are scarce now, I replaced mine with a 2700pF 1600V polypropylene as cheap insurance,

Colin.