View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2020, 10:21 am   #23
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Default Re: Quad 11 test run

I'd agree with Jerry about not running with any of the valves out (OK, it's safe to run without the rectifier). It's a bit like saying 'If I leave one of the brake pads out of each of my car's calipers I find I can't stop it nearly so well and there is a loud screeching noise each time I try'.

When you said you put the rectifier in and measured 457V DC on the HT rail my heart was in my mouth. Because the whole supply is off load the voltage will be way more than normal and there is every risk of damaging the HV capacitors. It seems like you got away with it though.

I'm a bit bemused by your mention of valveholder skirts. The Quad II as produced by Quad didn't use skirted valveholders. I guess you're talking about the one you built out of parts (post #6). The Quad II circuit isn't very easy to isolate into sections, electronically. There's a bit of a tendency for the operation of every part to affect the operation of every other part. This makes it a triumph of economy (the whole amp has just 6 capacitors and 12 resistors) but unpredictable if you try to run it while disassembled.

Cheers,

GJ