View Single Post
Old 4th May 2020, 1:59 pm   #1
EduardS
Diode

Default Repairing old butler bell box (annunciator).

A year ago I bought for 56 euro an antique vintage butlers or servants wall mount a 7 way red& white flag bell box.

The interior was very old, corroded but it seems complete. My idea is to install it in my 1914 build home in The Hague. Luckily I found in this platform a thread of Station X who restored his bell box.

I started with the cleaning of the metal bearings of the flags. In the end I used a sandpaper and a Dremel to remove the rust. Then I made a picture of the board to keep the overview and removed everything: all nails, screws and electric wires etc. I sanded the wooden box and painted it again.

I bought new electric wires and started to build up the bell box. To clean all the copper parts I used a solution of vinegar and salt, this was really great.

Using Pages of my apple I recreated the red and white stripes.

Now the bell board is working again, I try to figure out the best voltage.

I do have a problem with the painted glass. The original is in very bad shape. Using a photoshop and pages I recreated it on paper, but I would really like not to stick paper image behind the glass but to paint it as it was originally. So I bought two extra pieces of glass and paint and will try to do it myself. But if someone has any tips or tricks please let me know.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf bell board original.pdf (27.9 KB, 295 views)
File Type: pdf bell board parts.pdf (25.8 KB, 216 views)
File Type: pdf bell board restored.pdf (37.8 KB, 252 views)