View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2018, 10:25 pm   #4
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Friedland Westminster Door Chime

I was given my Westminster by my late father-in-law who salvaged it from a house he was rewiring, it ran here on a Friedland 764 12V 1A transformer for about 20 years. He also gave me a brass bell push with a porcelain PRESS that must be at least 100 years old by now.

These door-chimes have a bit of a design flaw.
As you know, it uses a paxolin wafer switch as the sequencer, one pole of the switch is a continuous metal ring apart from a small gap, so it knows where to stop. The bell push just shorts across that switch to start the motor.

The problem arises because the motor is a self-starting unidirectional synchronous motor, there's a 50% chance that it will try and run in reverse, If it does there is a mechanism inside the motor that stalls it, and it will try again. It could make three or four attempts before it is running correctly and by that time your guest may have taken his finger off the bell-push.

You will know to keep your finger on the button for a second or two, but your visitors will sometimes be more timid, especially if they don't know if the bell can be heard from outside.

I cured this with a rather crude circuit consisting of a reed relay, a 400uF capacitor and a diode in a sort of 1-shot monostable arrangement

After 20 years the wafer switch got very worn and eventually it was relegated to a junk box in the garage where it languished for a further ten years.

This is where things get controversial, if you like old things preserved as they were originally.

My wife found the bell and asked if it could be repaired as she quite liked it.
It so happened it coincided with me getting in to Arduinos, and programming little microcontroller projects, so, to cut an already too long story a bit shorter, my Westminster Chime is back on the hall wall with a little PCB with a ATTiny85 and 4 NPN transistors driving the solenoids. It now runs from a 12V DC wall-wart.

Unforgivable, I know, but it does play all four "quarters" and not just the third quarter as yours will do.

Last edited by Graham G3ZVT; 7th Feb 2018 at 10:36 pm.