View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2018, 10:35 pm   #25
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Cleaning sticky goo off Drive surfaces

Swafega is good.

Acetone is powerful stuff also, but as said, any plastic parts that get even a sniff of it will be ruined in very short time, so best only used on metal parts that have been removed from the machine unless you work very carefully with them still in place.

As for Acetone being "Highly Flammable" - I remember quite a few years ago working with an 'old time' chemist who got very angry when safety inspectors had insisted that he kept the large stock bottles of Acetone in the already very crowded 'Flammable Cabinet' and not on the ordinary shelf with the other non-flammables. To prove his point I remember him filling a dish with Acetone on the table and chucking a lighted match into it. there was very little drama and I think the match went out the first time. It does burn, but really needs a 'wick' to burn properly, so yes it is flammable, but the 'highly' bit is probably a little debatable, but rules are rules. There's probably more danger from the combustible properties of all those 'wireless magazines' and stacks of printed off paper circuit diagrams that everybody has, not to mention that can of petrol that you keep for the lawn mower (and that really IS "HIGHLY flammable"), than there would ever be from a small bottle of Acetone.