View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2020, 8:36 pm   #5
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Default Re: Virgin Media and old phones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigClick View Post
Thank you OF. I will measure as advised.

Not sure what you mean regarding the earth signalling? This unit definitely worked as a two wire "Loop-Dis" in the past.

I believe the dial was customised on Button AB payphones to allow a 9 or 0 without having to put any pennies in the slot.

I am prepared to be educated on it though
The earth was only required for 'Emergency Call' signalling on A/B boxes working to a Central Battery manual exchange. Not needed on Central Battery Signalling manual exchanges but doesn't apply on automatic exchanges (except on a few remote 'Island Automatic Exchanges' in the remote islands off the NW of Scotland and the Orkney & Shetland Islands.

Just tried one of my A/B renters boxes on a Grandstream HT701 and a Grandstream HT818 and works fine on both for incoming/outgoing calls on the Collectors Network (CNet) that uses VoIP. The original GPO circuit of an 'automatic' A/B box installation is virtually identical to a Telephone 232 but with as you say the different coinbox dial. The electrical side is the same so hould work. Have you tried the A/B box on a 'BT' copper line since trying it on the VoIP?

Last edited by Pellseinydd; 16th Nov 2020 at 8:43 pm.