View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2020, 1:26 pm   #44
Station X

Default Re: Hallicrafters Skyrider Defiant SX24 Receiver

Time for some updates, as usual repair work has got ahead of my posting details here.

I checked all the resistors in the set comparing their specified value, color coded value and measured value. I also checked that they were installed in their correct electrical positions when compared to the circuit diagram.

I found some resistors missing, some resistors present which aren't shown on the circuit diagram, some resistors of the wrong value and finally a few resistors which had drifted way high in value. I'll document circuit changes etc. in a separate thread to aid any future restorers of these sets.

All the resistors which had gone excessively high in value were replaced. I expect that with use other resistors will drift high and need replacing.

I checked the primary and secondary windings of all the IFT's for continuity and they were OK.

In sorting out the S Meter wiring I discovered that the 500R zero setting pot in parallel with it was going open circuit when set near max. Drilling a hole in the casing and injecting some Servisol cured that. The HT supply to the RF amplifier valve is fed via this resistor so, with no S meter fitted, it's important that the pot has continuity. I have a couple of unrestored SX28's which I'll borrow a meter from later.

At this stage I was satisfied that everything was wired correctly and the set stood a good chance of working.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1079.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	214254  

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.