View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2006, 3:36 pm   #26
YC-156
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: PC as a standard convertor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist
The most foolproof way of doing this (as far as I'm concerned) that I've seen advocated is to use 2 separate HDDs in caddies, one loaded with Windows and the other with Linux. Thus, no clever computer knowledge is required, you just insert the relevant drive before powering up, depending on which system you want.
Even better would making your own single CD distribution, not unlike Knoppix. When you want your line converter, stuff CD in CD drive and reboot. The distribution could include MythTV and associated tools and drivers already set up, perhaps needing a bit of tweaking to parameters. Add a bit of spare space on an existing harddisk, and you wouldn't even need that.

There are tools out there making a custom bootable CD quite easy to configure and maintain. This basically means that if end users has supported hardware, their required Linux knowledge to install and use the system will be very close to zero.

People always drops their jaws, once you boot their PC using the latest Knoppix CD when they have their backs turned.

"Hey Joe, didn't know you had started playing with Linux."
"Uhm, I didn't..."

Best regards

Frank N.