Thread: Bush AC34
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2018, 5:50 pm   #18
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush AC34

Quote:
Originally Posted by John10b View Post
Thanks, I’m in the process of looking for some varnish, I will possibly get it on Saturday.
After I have applied the first coat, how more coats should I apply?
Also do I then polish it with, for example beeswax or any furniture polish?
I just remembered that when I was in my teens I made a record player and put varnish on the cabinet, I was disappointed with the end result, it had lot of “bubbles” in it, what did I do wrong?
Cheers
John
Firstly, being so pleased with the results, I have more or less stabilised on using Wilko Quick Dry varnish now, so my comments are relevant to that product. Knowing how different varnishes vary wildy in how they 'go on', sand, etc etc, then my comments do not, by and large apply to different types. Polyurethanes for example require a totally different approach, and to me, are awkward to get good results from, I used them for years and was never very pleased with the results. They go on sticky, they pull when brushing out, they take ages to dry and can often show brush marks, clog when sanded, etc etc. I have no affiliation with Wilko by the way! I just love the product. Don't shake the tin to mix it before use, stir it. You can easily do three coats in one day (4 hours between coats) using it. So, two days, and you can have a finished cabinet!

Like I said in my random notes above, I apply four coats with a light rub down between each using a very fine sanding block of the sponge rubber type. I finish off with another light sanding with - emphasis here again - very fine sandpaper again followed by a rub down with 0000 grade wire wool. That will give you a matt finish, but a very 'flat' one. If you don't like matt, then use cutting paste to bring it up to the level of shine that you desire. Alternatively if you're feeling brave and are after a glossy look (not my preference personally) then try to get your final coat to go on 'perfectly'. That is not easy, you may end up with a few ripples, blemishes and the like, and it's why generally I don't do it, preferring to bring back the required shine with some hard work with cutting paste.

I wouldn't worry too much about polishing it afterwards, but on that score, waxes and 'natural' products may sound inviting, but they serve little or no purpose as the wood they are intended (advertised!) to nourish is encased in the varnish; the polish does reach wood. On the very rare occasions that I polish a finished cabinet I use a silicon based product of the Mr Sheen type that frankly are perfect for the job.