View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2018, 1:27 pm   #18
turretslug
Dekatron

Default Re: RA 1772 power supply heat

Ooh, it gives me a shudder when I see fine bits of gear broken up (or "parted out")! Though I guess that those of us who haven't done it have probably come close to it from time to time, there's always the "I could have tried harder" and "parts worth more than the whole" guilt aspects.

With a previous widespread case of infuriatingly buzzing C-core transformers I used to encounter, an effective cure was to thread a long worm-drive hose clip around the offending core halves and tighten up for blissful silence, augmenting the original steel bands that had relaxed their grip. I'm not familiar with the RA1772 innards, but is the transformer thickly varnish-impregnated to make this approach nigh-on impossible?

I think if I ever owned one, I'd be looking to move as much of the heat-generating rectification and PSU componentry as sensible to the rear panel with a bit of metal-working to get as much additional radiating area as possible- with the proviso of "existing fittings and no butchery" that I like to stick to. Somehow, it seems ironic to be discussing the heat problems of semiconductor receivers when that was supposed to be the bug-bear of thermionic kit!

Oh, and there's a bit more guilt over all the NOS OBIC displays that I didn't rescue long ago in stores clearances before I was aware of the RA1772.... There's only so much "one day, maybe" stuff that can be hoarded!