View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2018, 9:29 am   #7
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: Smiths CA clock repair question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybull View Post
The hands will most likely be a push 'friction' fit on the respective shafts. I would try GENTLY to line the hour hand to an appropriate hour and then try to push the minute hand to 12. The hands will bend if too much force is used.
... after setting the alarm knob to sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff 555 View Post
Hello well the plusgas was the only thing I had to hand, I will order some proper clock oil, It has proved at least it works. The hands are very fragile and looking at the minute hand with a glass it looks as if it is held on with a dome shaped nut, there is no slot or anything so I will have to be careful trying to move it. The minute hand is held on very very tightly.
The minute hand is held on as a very tight push fit. It might be better to set it to 12 and see if the hour hand will lift enough to turn it. If not then two pieces of brass or ally strip between the hands twisted in opposite directions might do it.
Quote:
Thank you for your help, I will strip and clean it etc.properly.
One last question if I may please, What oil would you recommend please.
Thank you.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Unless you intend to repair a few clocks it's probably not worth buying oil as a bottle will last you a decade or two! My last lot came from Meadows and Passmore (qv). PM me and I'll send you enough for this job.