View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2012, 12:26 am   #38
audiomagpie
Heptode

Default Re: Valves at BVWS auctions available for "all" members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G4SPZ View Post
As a consequence it's unusual for me not to have a particular valve if I need one, and when I don't have one in stock I am forced to put a 'wanted' post on the Forum or, if all else fails, buy one from a dealer.
This is exactly what I would do.

I recently needed a 'now getting rare' rectifier valve for a late 30's set. I saw one (of unknown electrical condition) in a box of about a douzen octals at an auction. I was prepared to gamble £20, but the box went for £80 odd as I remember. At a following meeting, one of our regular traders sold me a good tested one for £22. This was a much better bet than the auction! I got exactly what I needed at the right price with no added junk.

I think we're giving our traders a hard time here. Lets not tar them all with the same brush. The regular ones are a friendly and trusted bunch and offer us a great range of valves, often sorted or tested, at reasonable cost. It's not in their interests to sell us duds or we won't go back. And I doubt anyone has ever made a really good living buying and selling valves, after fuel, vehicle expenses and time given up is taken to account.

If a trader buys a box for £100 and this in turn allows me to get just the valve I need at a few pounds then great. There's no need to form any sort of alliance, the good traders are already doing it for us!

Greg

BVWS committee chairman