View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2012, 10:46 pm   #34
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Valves at BVWS auctions available for "all" members

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Williams View Post
Oh dear, are we still harping on over "not being able to compete with dealers"

Simple business plan - buy at an affordable price and sell at a profit.

If the domestic market will not support the sort of prices that dealers pay at auctions, then thats our hard luck for not attaching the same value as our overseas friends do to their collections.
I think the point has been well worth airing.

Things tend to pass between enthusiasts for prices far less than they would fetch on say, ebay. People on here don't like breaking up equipment which is is probably worth more as select spares than as an item.

I've given a couple of good tested ECC88s to a forum member fixing an old scope and finding I was horrified that he was considering paying a tenner a pop for them. It was because he seemed genuinely interested in something I thought was worthwhile and not some ludicrous hi-fi nonsense.

You can't make this activity all about money and it would be a precarious way to make a living, if you were getting in at this stage. However, money comes into it.

The other thing is that you have to get off your backside and look for some of this stuff, which takes time and effort. A part of going to an auction is going prepared and developing a skill in bidding, not being drawn into bidding contests and so on.

The thing which comes to mind here is the Bodyline Series, which I suggest marked the end of the amateur in first class cricket. It was something of a shock.

Pete.