View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2019, 1:51 am   #10
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Re: CRT is brighter to one side [Hitachi CTP213]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd 1985 View Post
No is the simple answer to that, the shadow mask is an integral part of the CRT itself, it sits just behind the phosphor coating, and the electron beam passes through it, it’s there to direct the 3 beams to their intended phosphor colour. Have a look on YouTube, I’m sure there was a video of someone dissecting a Sony trinitron CRT, or even some of the nasty videos of people bashing TVs with hammers, you will see the shadow mask as what looks like a sheet of metal behind the faceplate glass.

The video that Rambo1152 has linked to will show you a delta gun CRT being assembled, you get to see how the shadow mask is used during manufacture for positioning the phosphor dots (I can’t think of a better way to describe it!) and that a particular shadow mask has to stay with the faceplate it was used with.

If you want, I can get a close up photo of the slots in a PIL shadow mask, as I pulled one from a smashed CRT once.
I didn’t think it would, but i was just curious, i suppose thinking about it, it makes sense with delta guns having circles forming triangles (if that makes sense) and PIL having lines. I’d be fascinated to see if there was any simulation or anything of what a PIL set with a DG shadow masks’ picture would look, and vice versa.

I saw the part in the film you are talking about, which i then realised would of course make them incompatible with any other set, as you said about the manufacturing part too.

I’d love to see a close up of a PIL slot shadow mask, if you don’t mind?
I’ve never seen one demonstrated, they’ve always been Delta Gun sets.

I’ll look for that thread now, and give it a read and compare the two!

Thanks