View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2017, 11:02 pm   #73
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Why did folk always unplug the telly at night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeritus View Post
Certainly in the 1950's the only member of our family that had more than one wall socket in their house was an Aunt who lived in one of the post-war Prefabs, where every room had at least one 5A 3 pin socket.
That brings back memories. I spent the first 17 years of my life in a post-war pre-fab, council-owned. Two bedrooms: one 5-A socket each; 'lounge' (as it was called): two 5-A sockets; kitchen: two 5-A sockets (and a gas point to plug in the copper boiler) and the dist. board; bathroom (no socket; no space heater); W.C.: none; hall: none. I do recall 2-way plug-in adaptors (brown Bakelite) but there weren't any multi-way trailing extensions. Looking at the many commonly-found appliances in the home today, I can only suppose that all those years ago, electrical appliances must have been bordering on the 'luxury' category. How times have changed, which, in turn, makes me wonder about all the changes that are yet to come - many of which I do not expect to see - on account of my age. Ho-hum.

Al.