View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2019, 10:35 am   #11
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Radio auction in Diss, Norfolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgy-dxer View Post
Its only Norfolk - they have roads like everywhere else
It's a 560-mile round trip by car from St Helen's to Diss, it's a tortuous journey and would entail an overnight stay. To make that worthwhile, a bidder would need to be very keen to obtain a particular set and be prepared to outbid any other bidder. They'd also need to be a car driver because it would be impracticable to use public transport and a successful bidder would also need to lug his radio(s) back on public transport.

I can't personally see anything in the list that would cause me to attend even if the auction was in my own village, let alone in Diss, but that's just me. It's a 300 mile round trip for me to Diss, so whist it's theoretically possible for me to get there, for all practical purpose, I can't possibly attend and I can't think why I'd want to. A week later I'll be doing a 450 mile round trip to SW London - the second in a month, which is quite enough.

Fine for people who are nearer to hand - Norwich, Cambridge, Colchester etc, but for most bidders, it's only going to be practicable to bid online, and to accept the risk that not having viewed the lots, they have to be taken on face value. IE, are all the valves present, does the radio have a back, any worm in woodies, any cracks in Bakelite? As long as the lots aren't misleadingly described, as with any auction, you 'ride at your own risk'.

Certainly a large number of varied lots.