View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2019, 4:57 pm   #20
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Painted Bakelite and paint stripper...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinTheAmpMan1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
It's most likely dichloromethane based, which - within the EU - can only lawfully be used by professionals who have been trained and who use it in controlled conditions - not in a domestic setting, and that's been the case for some 20 years now. (I think since 1997, but stand to be corrected).
I wonder what "professionals who have been trained and who use it in controlled conditions" actually means in this context? In my day-job before I retired, I worked in a chemical research lab and could access dichloromethane and many other "dangerous" chemicals. I have a PhD in Organic Chemistry. Am I qualified to use dichloromethane-based paint stripper?

Colin.
I think it's basically a case of such 'professional products' only being available through so called professional outlets. Of course with the internet and forums, non-professional people get to know about these products and with little more effort than showing their willingness to splash their cash, are able to buy them. For example, if you yourself Colin were to speak eloquently and knowledgeable to them, explaining your own experience as you have here, then I would bet you'd get a sale no problem. As you allude to, that's a bit of a hit and miss process, but I reckon that's the way it is. Otherwise, is each and every professional buyer required to show some kind of credentials regarding their ability to use pro paint stripper? It's doubtful. So no, it's basically a case of pro products being available through pro suppliers, and amateur stuff being available in the 'sheds'. And given the 'correct' approach, almost anyone can step up to pro products level if you talk the talk, or maybe not even, just talk money..