View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2019, 11:18 am   #1
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

Default Aerials, Feeders, Transmission lines, AMU's and ATUs. Matching.

Split from this thread:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=157926

I have used a telescopic CB home base (nearly 6m long) clamped to a balcony and also in laybys clamped to the rear towing eye of the car. I removed the loading coil so as to be able to use an Aerial Match box (AKA ATU, Aerial Tuning Unit). It's about the minimal length to be useful vs a maximum practical length without nylon stay cords. So about 1/4 wave at 12.5MHz. It does work with an auto ATU on 80m (3.5MHz to 4MHz), but not sensibly for transmit on 160m (1.8MHz). It will somewhat receive on MW & LW but very poor compared to a typical "Paris Aerial" aka Picture Frame Loop. It will tune and work up to 50MHz and obviously receives on FM Band II, Air and Marine. No use for transmit on 144MHz even with the Auto ATU.

I replaced the slotted hose clamps to lock the sections on the "silver stick" style CB aerial with thumb/butterfly style hose clamps.

I also have a military double discone. The top "cone" uses four standard military whips and the four guys are insulated at the bottom. It uses maybe 4m high mast made out out push together poles like tent poles. It tunes better than the whip, discones being broadband. Just about usable on 2m (highish SWR). Works well enough with an ATU on 3.5MHz to 50MHz, and 7MHz to 20Mhz is feasible without an ATU. Pretty noisy and poor LW, MW, Trawler & 160m. Obviously only for temporary erection on a lawn or field. The canvas carry bag is heavy on its own!