Thread: Philips T-Vette
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2007, 1:26 am   #31
TNC
Hexode

Default Re: Philips T-Vette

Thanks all for your helpful feedback.
I checked the switching and made sure of the power connections and then powered up with a slightly dirty 12v (car charger) supply. Apart from the effect of the supply - hum and screen distortion - the system held up for over 20 minutes and there seemed to be no obvious stress so it looks as if the rectifier is suspect.
I am assuming the original rectifers are not now available so I will try an integrated bridge to check that it provides the necessary quality. Am I right to assume that operating at around 12-13v. will not affect the choice of component - other than its power rating?
On another front, having spent an "interesting" couple of hours replacing three of the sound stage transistors (not the output pair), I was rewarded with plenty of volume with no distortion. (Thanks vm Dazzlevision). Threading the 4 wires into their correct holes was just about the most fiddly job I have come across!! My vocabulary was sorely tested!!
The final issue is a noisy picture but I think that is all in the VHF tuner. As it acts as an amp. for the UHF system, I think poor performance on VHF will also affect UHF - and wobbling the plug-in trannys on the VHF tuner created absolute mayhem on the screen so its there I will have to look.

Trevor.