View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2021, 5:27 pm   #11
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: 746 no dial tone. Inexperienced repairer hoping for help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
To answer your last question first, yes, ADSL & VDSL do not require the 50v supply on the line.

But I think that's a red herring because without the line voltage you wouldn't hear side-tone (blow-back) or be able to make or receive calls.

Maybe you have an open circuit winding in the ASTIC coil.
I missed the fact that calls can be made in and out and that the other party can hear you which, as rambo1152 says, confirms that the line is working.

It does appear that the problem lies within the ASTIC in that the audio on the line isn't reaching the receiver, but looking at diagram N846, I would expect an open-circuit winding to give a much higher resistance reading than twice the expected one, given the external components through which measurement would be made. Incidentally, I assume the readings are with the handset off-hook. On-hook there shouldn't be any external path between 4 & 5 of the ASTIC, given that the hook-switch isolates terminal 4. But then o/c winding between 4 & 5 would mean that there was no circuit between the transmitter and the line, so no way for sound to be transmitted to the other telephone.

Did you say you were hearing sound in the receiver when you blow into the transmitter? I can't find this stated - but I've already proved that I sometimes miss things! If not, it seems likely that the problem lies in the winding between 2 & 3.