View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2018, 6:35 pm   #13
GeoffB17
Tetrode

Default Re: Star Gemini-10 printer

Hello,

I've still got my G-10x, and the manual, and the printer still works - as far as the dried-up ribbon will allow. Some WD-40 on the ribbon usually helps.

Firstly, I think the 10 and the 10x will be similar. I note the lid/cover is different regarding thetractor 'hump' mind you.

On mine, I have the optional SIO board - however, there is an internal connector (flat cable) that needs to be moved to swap between SIO and Pll operation.

Regarding the print, it looks like the sort of thing that happens when there's a problem with the pll cable, but if you're doing the self test, that should not apply. BUT, there is another flat (pcb type) cable that connects the main board with the print head, and this is getting constant flex while the printer is operating. If one of the tracks is damaged, or the cable is damaged so that two lines are shorted, this may also cause one or more pins to fire when they ought NOT to?

Oh, my printed manual is NOT the size of War & Peace! It's book dimensions, but ONLY 262 pages. DIP switch guide is on page 262.

DIP Sw 1 default position is all 8 switches are ON

DIP switch 2 has 4 switches for:
No Paper Detection ON
Buffer Full Print OFF
Bit selection OFF
Automatic Line Feed OFF

The notes regarding setup for use with specific computers includes changes to certain DIPs depending on the computer used.

Oh, my manual is dated 7/84. Yes, I've now found the separate SIO instructions.

Checking your print example..

The bottom pin, which should fire ONLY for underline, or for some descenders for some lower case letters like g and y, seems to be firing almost all the time. Also, one of the middle pins is firing INSTEAD of one of the higher pins. Various pins seem to be firing correctly. I'd have a VERY close look at the cable connecting the head to the main board, and the crimp connector at each end.

Geoff

Last edited by GeoffB17; 16th Mar 2018 at 6:55 pm. Reason: Add extra info