Thread: End of an era.
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2018, 4:25 pm   #109
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Default Re: End of an era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
You are absolutely right, of course. But it's hard to charge the old dear face to face for something you or I could do in our sleep - you forget it's rocket science to them.
Last week, mum in law phoned, her 18 month old washer had been accidently switched off just before the cycle end. She panicked as the door wouldn't open after a couple of minutes waiting. She couldnt find the instruction book and my wife suggested switch it off at the plug 5 minutes and try again. Still no go.
I said I would call round later that afternoon.
In the meantime she had phoned the small local business who she bought it from (and also a new microwave). When she phoned us to tell us this and that he had a £45 callout charge (about 1.5 miles in same town) I hurried up my lunch and set off. I missed the bloke by 2 minutes. In the 10 minutes or so he was there, he turned the knob to drain, let it pump out, then waited and opened the door!
He gave her a bill for £45 + £9.00 vat. She doesn't remember the total £54 when she first rang. So, 90 year old mum paid up in cash. It was only a small load basic zanussi, not a Miele! Today, she said she found the instruction book and it said to place in drain mode first. She said she felt foolish now.
I was angry and said I would take it up with the shop, especially as when she phoned she was told callout charge was £45, no mention of vat. But no, she was afraid it would cause trouble, don't do it. I may want them in the future!
So, the moral is, repair technicians will not be out of a job with charges like that around!
Rob

Last edited by CambridgeWorks; 11th Mar 2018 at 4:31 pm. Reason: correction