View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2018, 10:09 am   #52
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Default Re: Revox A77 Stops Playing (Transport Fault)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maurice View Post

Though usually if the bridge fails, it takes out the fuse.
That's a sign of good design. In the days at HP when we were using iron transformers in power supplies, there was a corporate-required test to short each secondary of the transformer in turn and check that the fuse blew each time. This was done primarily as a fire precaution because a short that didn't pull the fuse would leave a transformer getting hotter and hotter. It had the secondary advantage that it limited the extent of damage from any downstream failure.

Diodes in bridges sometimes fail open-circuit, which can leave only half-wave rectification and a supply which droops badly when loaded and doesn't pull a fuse. So it's worth checking if it's thought a failed capacitor may have given the bridge a hard time.

David
Yeah I agree , my concern with Bill checking the rectifier at this point was purely because the a a swine to get to with the board still attached to the transformer and I myself have shorted the darn things trying to probe them when i first got going , so my plan is to have him get the board off and then diode test it rather than test the supply I think that`s going to be a lot easier/safer . It can be done of course , I now have a much better fluke meter with much better shielded probes so its a lot easier to do it without setting the house alight with all the sparks ..hehe .