View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2018, 10:27 am   #5
G8BBZ
Pentode

Default Re: Marconi TF2950/5 Radio Test Set

Hi Ian,
Yes it was your post i referred to. Pretty much the same symptoms on my unit - nothing on the battery side but the main HT OK. One "feature" which puzzled me for a while is that the main HT does not come on when the unit is switched On - you have to switch to Charge (and a Battery voltage is then displayed) and then back to On at which point normal HT appears. The batteries are completely dead of course. I did wonder if the dead batteries are the source of the problem - maybe the battery charging circuit is smart enough to recognise when no battery is present (or dead) and inhibit itself. But I don't feel like shelling out for 3 new batteries without being a bit more certain about what is going on.
As you say, made in Germany - no idea who by. The standard of construction is high but surprisingly old-fashioned I thought - cotton covered wiring and hand soldered PCB's. I particularly like the 1/8" steel plate case that the unit comes in - none of your flimsy aluminium rubbish here, thank you!
I do want to be able to use the unit on battery so will continue my investigations - let you know if anything useful results.
cheers