View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2019, 1:25 pm   #29
Luxman1050
Octode

Default Re: Philips 170A restoration

Cheers Jerry I'll leave that alone then don't have equipment to re align a radio ew.
Well I sprayed the EM34 valve made huge difference on eye can actually see it now so saved around 40 to 80 quid there. Decided to get two NOS EF39 valves at 6 quid each not gonna break the bank as the others although original pentone have just been salvaged but will keep them. The new AZ31 doing its job. I'll measure voltages later.
Changed all capacitors not the trimmers of course seems to have made reception exceptionally good with aerial earthed to the plumbing theres not much interference at all plus have been picking up a lot more stations. The main change is on the tone seems to be quite bassy now.

Changed the wax 25uf with good quality Vishay and the 0.1uf with a PIO cap.

But! changing these caps ****** nightmare as you cannot move the valve bases to get to the leads and then you move a wire out the way which decides to crumble on you. So I ended up cutting the leads and attaching that way. I was gonna drill out valve base rivets and bolt them done but I'll think on that one as some of the wiring definitely needs replacing which would make access much easier. These are definitely not the easiest of units to work on!
Plus also thinking of replacing the resistors at some stage might help with the tone.

I've kept the original capacitors as I'll melt the tar off them which will come in handy as I noticed that the solder points on the transformers where originally covered over with a light dob of tar.

Luckily the tuning dial cable is all brand new including the springs which was a bonus.

I'm running it in all day today just to make sure nothing is amiss.

But all in all very nice radio and does not seem to be many bakerlite ones around in good condition. I think it was a good buy at 25 quid seen a couple been refurbed go for over 250 and some in poor condition valued selling at 100 quid so quids in there.

Pic of magic eye working.

Cheers Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190828_202945.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	189077