View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2019, 1:23 pm   #28
cathoderay57
Nonode

Default Re: Philips 170A restoration

Hi Chris, thanks for the info re: baffle board. I will post some pictures when I get the missing chassis bits from Sideband, who has helped me out no end on this - also Old John with speaker cloth. The issue with indoor aerials is pickup of interference radiated by routers, LED lights and assoc power supplies. They often produce lots of background A.M. noise across the bands sometimes sounding like a deep fat fryer or sometimes just a background buzz. I wasn't suggesting using them as an aerial, it's just that a length of wire plugged into the aerial socket (or your aluminium plate) will pick up this noise. An outside aerial sometimes can help as the incoming wanted signal should be (but not guaranteed to be) stronger than local interference. The cable to the top cap of the EF39 is a "special" and if you replace it you will likely affect the sensitivity/alignment of the set. It is a form of coaxial cable but if you replaced it with audio grade coax (or a plain wire) the capacitance between the centre core and ground will be markedly different and will upset the tuning of the IF coil to which it is connected. Don't go there! Cheers, Jerry