View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2020, 10:00 am   #108
turretslug
Dekatron

Default Re: Very low noise op amp recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchrodyne View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by turretslug View Post
The HA12017 was quite heavily lauded in one of Ambit's famous catalogues of the late '70s- whilst I enjoyed reading some of William Poel's insightful and shibboleth-slaying blurb, there's always the chance that they just wanted to sell the things.... It does have unusually high supply voltage capability, no doubt fitting into the then must-allow-vast-pre-clipping-capability tick-box. If it's cheap enough, no reason not to try it and SIL means easy layout!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhennessy View Post
But is it any better than an NE5534?
Attached the HA12017 page from Ambit Catalogue #4. Note the “purple prose”: “At risk of being contradicted, the HA12017 is the best audio preamp IC yet. Certainly it has no peer at the price – and even when compared to the NE5534 series devices, the HA12017 is no worse - and by virtue of its low price and 10v output capability - probably a lot better.”

Certainly, Bill Poel was refreshingly iconoclastic, but in this case he seems to have overlooked the adage that one should choose one’s target wisely.

As far as I know, the HA12017 was more-or-less an improved version of the widely-used Toshiba TA7122 (which I think had a Hitachi counterpart with a four-digit number). This was essentially the three-transistor circuit in integrated form, intended primarily for the MM/RIAA job. I somehow doubt that it would or even could have done better than the NE5534 in that role, or even better than the erstwhile LM381, which was also included on the same Ambit page. The LM381 was also more versatile. But these low-noise preamplifier ICs were effectively made obsolete by the NE5534/2, which delivered about the best realizable MM/RIAA performance via an industry standard, multi-use opamp that could also be deployed for most other functions in a domestic audio control unit. Nonetheless the 1979 Signetics Applications, under stereo preamplifiers, referred not only to the NE5534, but also the NE542 and LM381 family.

Cheers,
Thanks- that's refreshed me on the article and how it sounded somewhat defensive in nature. Whenever debate turns toward uncalled-for trench-digging, hyperbole and ad hominem, I start to smell a whiff of brass (short a).