View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2019, 7:38 am   #17
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Dormer & Wadsworth (D&W)

I've just been looking around and found Short Wave Mag May 1971 on the American radio history site. I even remember the trio advert on the front cover!

Inside is an article "Versatile Sub-Modulator" by A H Dormer G3DAH C.Eng FIERE. and a column "The VHF Bands" by the same.

The article is about a very hybrid (valves + JFETs + Plessey SL600 series ICs) FM modulator for a KW2000. If this is the Dormer of D&W, then he seems to have interests in VHF and FM. The VHF column ran to 5 pages.

There is a Wadsworth in the same issue, G3OLP in Todnmorden selling a DX100U and, wait for it! a DST-100.

This might be the right Dormer, but I'm not sure about Wadsworth. Not a common name, though.

There is a wing commander A H Dormer in the RAF list, group 90 (signals) Radio warfare 12 April 1955. RAF Medmenham, Marlow, Bucks.

Even with SWM's page rate and all those pages, Mr Dormer would still need a day-job.

Once you start searching, heaven knows where you wind up... I've just spotted a Scottish VHF convention 1969 piece with a photo of David Guest GM3TFY, who I worked with for many years, and someone getting presented with the Jock Kyle trophy, which many years later sat on my mantelpiece for a year. It's a small world!

David

Last edited by Radio Wrangler; 2nd Jul 2019 at 7:49 am.