View Single Post
Old 14th May 2018, 8:05 pm   #1
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Cossor old confusion.

Latest plaything off the pile of non working radios is a Cossor 360, battery TRF Super- Ferrodyne, 3 valves.

A beautiful art deco cabinet, any idea what year?
Mine has no back but has the metal brackets for one, I know many battery sets were backless but not this one.
There is oodles of battery and accumulator space. The pull out divider and shelf are present. It came with an Atlas K12/18 eliminator which is working with new semiconductor rectifiers fitted.

There seems to be little information on this set, I have the Cossor sheet S.M.27 but its a bit sketchy.

For instance, what rating/voltage is the fuse bulb on the rear chassis rail? Mine has none.

The 'speaker is a low impedance moving coil with the transformer mounted on the frame, 10K ohm primary is marked. But according to the sheet it should be a high impedance moving iron. Yet it looks like the original, it fits the baffle and is hollow rivetted to it with a muslin bag which has rotted. There are another set of unused holes for mounting a larger 'speaker but the circular cut out is the right size for the cone.

There is a rogue 10k HT resistor that will be changed for a period dog bone, the three 0,1uf Cosser cardboard caps have morphed into resistors. They are tar ended so I will cook them out and use the printed sleeves to hide new parts, reclaiming a bit of tar to dress the ends.
Other than this resistor it looks untouched.
The wiring to the batteries is well beyond re-use and will have to be replaced, LT, HT and two Grid Bias batteries. All the labels are present.

Has anyone got another?