View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2016, 6:15 am   #23
Ti Pwun
Heptode

Default Re: ♩ I'm going slightly mad... ♩ Transistor Craziness!

All fixed now - it was indeed the two transistors I had suspected. The tester clearly wasn't up to the job for those transistors, which I hadn't realised. Had the replacements not read the other way and had I not become ill mid way through the repair then I wouldn't have become confused.

The tester threw me, though, for sure. The two with low Hfe were the culprits but after connecting one low and one higher to each channel and a fuse blowing, I connected the two higher Hfe transistors to the channel that blew its fuse (after replacing it) and I got audio on that channel. I then swapped them to the other channel and got audio on that channel.

It was only a very brief test but it showed me that those higher Hfe transistors are OK. I haven't done it yet but it sounded very good during that test so I'll dig through my stock and replace the other two.

Not sure what's going on with the replacement MJE2955 transistors having a different pinout than the originals but I have plenty of others I can use so I don't need to do any bodging.

My mistake for coming back to this unwell but alls well that ends well. Definitely a lesson learned with the tester for those transistors. I'll knock up a little tester circuit I can use to test them on my bench power supply, rather than using the Peak tester.

Thanks again for all the input.