View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2021, 1:12 pm   #22
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Plug adaptors of the past

As far as I can remember the Wandsworth plug was the same as the D&S plugs being described here. It had a W embossed into the Bakelite cover.

Yes I did encounter them in Prefabs situated next to the railway line in Hartfield Crescent Wimbledon. Strange how you remember silly details. My customer kept chickens running around in a large wired area in the garden The TV was a Ferguson 406T then around ten years old.

The Fitall plug was OK but useless when you encountered a socket mounted on the skirting board close to the floor. I got fed up with this and ended up with two bare wires that I used to carefully place in the socket and then secure them with a plug..Sleeved plugs put an end to that!

It was quite amazing the sockets you encountered. When I was first doing service calls at 16 [1964] , 13amp sockets were quite rare and in many houses/bedsits the BC adaptor still ruled!

I always thought a 15amp 3 pin plug was a much better arrangement and took the current from a 3000w appliance much better than a 13amp one. They just made better contact. John.

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 13th Apr 2021 at 1:33 pm. Reason: Automotive