View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2021, 8:28 am   #9
Telephone Guy
Tetrode

Default Re: Free-standing telephone keypad

Hi, and thanks for all the replies. There isn't really enough space to put a modern phone alongside the old one in either of the locations where the 746s would be going, unfortunately ... that would certainly solve the problem.

I've checked out the other links and am considering those as alternatives ... don't mistake this for ingratitude, but ideally, what I was looking for was something that would actually plug into the socket alongside the 746 ( i.e. using a double adapter ) or even something that would go in series with the 746 ( so, the 746 plugs into the free-standing keypad which in turn plugs into the wall socket ). With the ones I've seen in the links provided, you have to hold the speaker of the free-standing unit up to the mouthpiece of the phone whilst dialling the number ... I can see how that would have been regarded as cutting-edge back in the day, but maybe more cumbersome than it's worth now!

I did use to have one of these; it was designed for use with a headset but worked perfectly well as described above. Unfortunately it eventually gave up the ghost and doesn't appear to be manufactured any more. The nearest equivalents I can find either only come with headsets and / or are prohibitively expensive.