Old 14th Jan 2021, 11:14 pm   #27
red16v
Heptode

Default Re: ABC Weekend Television.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk Box Nick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by red16v View Post
Thames’ first series of Marker was set in Brighton after he has been released from a local prison and where his landlady (Mrs Mortimer) was introduced. Subsequent series were set in the Windsor area and indeed his office there was a somewhat threadbare shabby affair sparsely furnished. A series well worth catching on TPTV some time in the future.
Thanks! Falling into place. I remember the storyline (or at least I remember my dad, who was a fan, filling me in) about him ending up in jail, some sort of frame-up I think, when a new series started. The Avengers wasn't popular in our house – the more gritty dramas were preferred. Callan was another one favoured.

I always remember Didsbury (or Diddlesbury as he sometimes referred to it) from Hughie Green’s Opportunity Knocks so I guess this was ABC too though I know it originated on Radio Luxembourg.
Ken Dodd frequented ABC’s studios in Didsbury, would it be too much to suggest he may well have started calling it Diddlesbury? He certainly became friends with David Hamilton who was one of the in-vision continuity announcers at Didsbury and coined DH’s well known moniker - ‘Diddie’ David Hamilton.