View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2019, 11:13 pm   #7
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Default Re: Telephone number circular labels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgriff View Post
For a really authentic look you need a GPO number stamp as well. Unfortunately they seem to sell for quite a price these days. I always think it's worth finding out the appropriate historic exchange name for the particular location and using the correct number of digits for the period. Sadly I can become quite fussy about such things!

Alan
The earlier numbering machine was a 'Machine Numbering No 5' used up to around the introduction of the grey Tele 706 style label 1960 when the Machine Numbering No 32 came into use. Obviously the older No 5 machines carried on in use as well as the No 32. The figures are not the same on both machines. Kiosk labels used a Machine Numbering No 31 which has larger numerals and the ability to print a capital 'X' after the numbers - something that was done in the 1950's/60's. Luckily I managed to pick one up on eBay last year for £13.49! Only one I've ever seen. The No 5/32 seem to be offered from around £50 a time!

If anyone wants to know about a particular exchange on a particular date, I have a huge database of details of exchanges back to the year dot - just PM me if you'd like details such as the ranges of numbers in use around a particular date on a particular exchange.

I just produce my labels using a DTP program - got lots of blank label templates so just a case of dropping the exchange name in. I print them on an 'off white' 160gsm card - I used to use the weak tea method but the 'off white' looks pretty like the originals compared with ones printed on 'modern' white card.