View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2017, 3:16 pm   #40
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Attracting younger members to Vintage Equipment

We simply don't have the right to try to manipulate other people's interests.

We wouldn't want other people mucking about with our freedom to choose what interests us.

The best we can do is to make visible what we do so that people are at least exposed to less usual hobbies. Then they can make their own minds up. If someone takes an interest, then brilliant! provide help, guidance, backup etc as they need. If they don't take an interest, then maybe someone will. But if no-one does, the hobby may die out. There's noting we can do about that. People pushed into it really won't stick around.

I ride horses. They're great pets and can be quite affectionate and good companions. Talking other people into trying riding is difficult. Riding has a big advantage over the vintage radio hobby because almost everyone knows it exists from the start. The problems then get a look-in. Everyone thinks it's too expensive for them to even think of it. Many people are scared of big beasties. Some will admit this, some won't. Thee are real risks. RoSPA rated it the second most dangerous sport or pastime (Cave diving... you had to ask). It's uncomfortable, very uncomfortable until you toughen certain muscles and it's scary until you acclimatise. You walk funny for a day or two after riding until you acclimatise. It's quite remarkable that people persevere to the point where they becoe comfortable and capable enough for the fear to recede.

So it must be tougher to introduce people to horse riding than to vintage radio or amateur radio?

It doesn't seem to be. There is no shortage of youngsters getting involved, and the lasses outnumber the lads quite significantly.

I've had it suggested to me a couple of times that it's an effeminate hobby. The standard response is to offer the speaker a leg up onto something quite lively. It's amazing how rapidly the braggadocio evaporates There is a gender imbalance, but all the people involved have proven to be a bit on the bold side in order to get past the scary beginnings.

Horse riding has been around a lot longer than radio so it's not a matter of being a latest fad versus something ancient.

The British Horse Society every year has a drive where it tries to incite all members to each get at least one new person to try riding.

Maybe it's because people see neddies as inherently cute and as photogenic as hell? and it still manages to outdo the old "One end bites, the other end kicks" saying

Radio stuff used to be magical, but cell phones which can dial anywhere in the world and still be affordable have killed the magic.

We seem to be missing something, but what?

David