View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2019, 11:54 pm   #2
Synchrodyne
Nonode

Default Re: Radford SC.24 control unit

Well, that was a tour-de-force! The SC24 is, I think, both complex and complicated. It had many component parts and the available schematics are not so easy to follow. I suspect though that somewhere there might be another Radford TI that explains the circuitry section-by-section, similar to that which was provided for the SC22.

The SC24 was something of a step-out in British practice at the time. Hi Fi Year Book 1972 shows it at £80.00 as compared with £43.00 for the much simpler Quad 33, which may be used as a reference point. The SC24 used I think 50 transistors as compared with 12 for the Quad 33. The latter of course was designed at a time (1966-67) when the unit cost of transistors was high, and they thus had to be used sparingly. By 1971 that had changed significantly. (As another measure of that change, the Quad FM3 tuner of 1971, in its first iteration, used 14 bipolars (11 of those in auxiliary functions) as well as 2 mosfets and 3 ICs.)

In the 1960s valve era, the Rogers Master control unit was more complex than most, but it did not have a solid-state successor. Rather Rogers pitched its solid-state offerings more at the mid-market level. The Radford SC22 valved control unit was generally simpler than the Rogers Master, so effectively Radford moved quite a step upwards, complexity-wise, with the SC24 solid-state successor.

Cheers,