View Single Post
Old 27th May 2006, 12:18 am   #11
Tim
Dekatron

Default Re: The art of coarse engineering

Hi all.

Quote:
The Egyptian electricians method of detecting blown cartridge fuses on a main bus distribution board was to run finger and thumb down the strip of exposed terminals and when they got a belt they knew they had the blown fuse. To ensure good contact they used to lick their fingers first.
I wonder if the ground was probably be quite dry, giving a higher resistance back to the neutral connection at the sub station.

I only tend to bodge my own stuff, rather than other peoples repairs (your only as good as your last job......but you're welcome to check out some of my repairs on Pauls main site and decide for yourself!! ) but the stuff I did on my old Bedford HA van must have horrified the subsequent owners-and probably Kat!!
Fuel pipes joined by rubber hose, metric bolts shoved into BSF holes, silicone sealant for engine gaskets (and egg boxes for door handle gaskets), engine hoses joined with a box spanner and jubillee clips, and an SU carb from a Hilman Avenger in place of the original Solex. I even drilled holes in 1/2 p coins(they were cheaper than washers!!-and no longer legal tender at the time). I also remember fitting a peice of cable sheathing under a headlamp rim to correct the beam aim after a small front end collision, throttle linkages made from welding rod, and countless other no budget "modifications".
However VOU 587 T was never without an MOT, and my "coarse" engineering never let me down. If you think that's bad you wouldn't have wanted to see my Bedford CF 2.3 after 213,000 miles..........

I have seen some interesting examples of C.E in some wireless sets I have had in for repair!

Last edited by Tim; 27th May 2006 at 12:23 am.