View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2006, 6:34 pm   #108
SPCh
Rest in Peace

Default Re: AVO Multimeter survey

Thanks, John

-165 puts it exactly where it should be.

That's the whole point of the survey, patterns are emerging (at least for the Model 7s and 8s) which allow me to question/challenge what appears incorrect. Not a lot does.

But as a reward for everybody who's contributed and shown an interest, I have one unexplained "oddity" which I can share with you.

A Model 8 Mark II (and it really is) with a serial number which puts it very definitely at end 1957 / beginning 1958, but with a date code which insists it's from May 1967.

By that date it couldn't have been a Mark II, but would have to have been a Mark III - with a substantially lower serial number in a significantly different format. So; just a slip of the pen ? Certainly not an instinctive one (digit-reversal or wrong-digit-duplication). Was it just that one meter, or the whole day's production (40 ish) or the whole month's (1000) ? Clearly the perpetrator had something else on his or her mind. To put it into context, the late 1950s were still the "Dixon of Dock Green" era; "Z-Cars" were still some years away.

Keep 'em coming guys, and gals; I'll keep you informed.
SPCh is offline   Reply With Quote