View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2019, 11:19 am   #4
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

Default Re: Ever Ready Sky Emperor

Ah but the Vidor has a built in loop for VHF, LW and goes loud enough. The Ever Ready just goes louder and needs the awkward aerials extended.

However in reality both are collector items and really for demo, not everyday listening. Neither is as good as many Continental models (German from 1953 with DC90, various 1955 onward DF97).

1959 was the last year for new models of DF97 based valve VHF radios and 1960 the last production. From 1961 the AM/FM portables were all transistor.
The USA never did any valve portable AM/FM sets, though had Band II FM from 1945. It was sold for HiFi. VHF-FM was popular in Germany from 1949/1950 due to Allies taking so many AM allocations. However it was mains only till the DC90 was available in 1953.

The Vanguard is unusual in using the VHF Osc/mixer DF97 as AM LO and the FM 1st IF as AM Pentode mixer, so no DK91/DK40/DK92/DK96

Just create a custom search with email on eBay and be prepared to buy a wreck. That's how I got my Sky Emperor cheap. The Vidor Vanguard cost more and in good condition apart from tuning knob but was still under £30 ex. shipping. It had a dodgy wavechange switch as well as bad paper caps.

My Philips Collette had big hole in the front panel Bakelite, but fortunately it's vinyl cloth covered so car body filler and acrylic paint fixed it.

It's the Grundig, Schaub, Akkord, Metz etc battery valve AM/FM sets that go for €80 to €300. The Philips Annette range seem to go cheapest, though can go for up to €120, a battered one might go for under €25. All those need the DEAC replaced by a 3500mAH NiMH C cell as the NiCd DEAC is the LT regulator on mains.

Vidor and Ever Ready liked selling batteries. Though quite a few Vidor sets did battery/mains. After WWII only Ever Ready's BEREC Fiesta did mains?