View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2022, 2:26 pm   #106
duncanlowe
Nonode

Default Re: Old phones and the new BT internet-only phonelines

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanlowe View Post
A couple of comments which I hope aren't controversial.

For 'normal' folk (as in not like us) they will not see any change whatsoever. Two years ago my parents (in their 70s / 80s) moved into a place that is FTTP and the 'phone line' is provided via a socket on the fibre modem. I plugged the base station for their existing cordless into said socket and even though my Dad is fairly tech savvy for someone of his age I'm pretty sure he has no real idea of any change.
And this is where it gets even more confusing. They have now had a letter telling them they are going to be changed. But they are already essentially on VoIP, but it seems either BT don't know, or want them to switch from the service provided by the FTTP Openreach modem, to being provided by the BT Smarthub. Why? Going to make the wiring way more complex because of where stuff is and sockets are.

I did mention the issue with power cuts, he hadn't thought of that, and mentioned UPSs as well, but with the way the system is it would mean four needed for the new arrangement, over just two otherwise. OTOH they have a much more reliable supply and I don't think they have had any power cuts in the 2 1/2 years since moving in.