View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2022, 1:58 pm   #65
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Default Re: Contemplated PCL86 push-pull home brew stereo amplifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by etherman View Post
1. Slightly more tidy construction: I planned on a small copper clad board engraved using a rotary tool as a substitute for a tag board. But eventually gave up and used the same flying leads as before.
Hi there, I've been watching this thread with interest and curiosity and your tenacity stands out as very high.

I do wonder if you could consider the impact of a perhaps tidier construction? The footprint of your amplifier is very large, especially considering the outboard power-supply.

The circuit is not complicated and doesn't have a high component count. As things stand, you've got flying leads all over the place, which aren't ideal from a safety view-point (although I'll stop there as safety hints are easily overdone).

But they are also not idea from another viewpoint. Routing wires in the signal pathway away from power supply (AC and DC) is done for a reason. Having wires as short as possible is also done for a reason. What I'm seeing here is a bit of a rat's nest. Supposing (very reasonable) that you are close to completing this iteration of your amplifier, how will you actually use it? You'd need to have an absolutely huge enclosure to carry it around safely.

It's true to say that a some people on the forum have insanely good machining and construction skills and even more can put a circuit into a tidy-looking enclosure that is also designed to avoid problems.

Others have to try a bit harder and it doesn't come naturally. But I honestly think that if you try to build this from a mechanical layout that has the smallest footprint, you will be a lot happier with the results. That means practically (carrying it around), aesthetically (looking at it) and in performance (minimal hum). I hope this isn't too intrusive, but you've put so much effort into this that it would be a shame to not see it looking its most beautiful. I hope this sounds helpful, not critical.

As I say, it takes a lot of patience and trial and error to do what you're doing, but there are certainly many ready examples of good and not-so-good practice out there already. Dansette amplifiers, for example, aren't complicated. They also don't have perfect innards -but they represent an easily-achievable standard of construction if you wanted to inspect something of similar complexity.

Cheers