Thread: Moreton Cheyney
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2019, 9:19 am   #41
allan
Pentode

Location: South coast near Ringwood/Christchurch, Dorset, UK.
Default Re: Moreton Cheyney

Very interesting om and I've never looked into those receivers you mention. Now that I have looked them up I can see the similarities and the AW125 does look very similar to the Moreton Cheyney. The T69A front layout and bandwidth markings 5/10/15/20Kc looks very similar too. It would be interesting to see the exact dates for the Armstrong and Dynatron sets. Usually established companies products evolved from early days with new bits being added as time progressed.
I checked on the candidate (Albert Moreton) for leading the MC company a little more. Not entirely convincing. He was a tinsmith and later a retail shopkeeper (no info yet on what he sold) but the family address in 1939 was only a quarter mile from the Gaol Street address at 1a Rowley Street. The son James Henry Moreton (born 1902), whose mother's name was Annie Cheyney, might be the better candidate and is a bit of a mystery. The dearth of info may mean he emigrated (as you are no doubt aware, both Australia and NZ had schemes for attracting people). Another interesting snippet is the daughter Muriel married a chap called Tarry in 1936 but appears to have ditched him and changed her name by deed poll to something entirely different which implies the Tarry family were not in the Moreton's good books. Tarry called the creditors meeting and she may have blamed the messenger?
Allan G3PIY